Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 3 - First Love

Other than my family, I really think my first love was reading. Really.  I have always loved to read, and the story goes that I started reading at age 2.  After having Josh and Emily who did crazy things like that, I almost believe it. I remember being in the first grade and we were divided into 4 reading groups in our class and it was pretty obvious it was based on performance. Each group would take their turn in the reading corner while the rest of the class did busy work at their desks.  Well, one day Mrs. Robertson called me over to the reading corner while another group was there.  "Ginnie, can you please read this section out loud for the group?" she asked. I read the section.  "Now why can't y'all do that??" she said after I was finished.  I don't know why that is still in my head - I remember I wasn't proud, I was kind of embarrassed.  I have never liked being put on the spot!! I also have this memory from when I was in 2nd grade being on the bus going home one day and I was sitting with a boy who was in the 7th grade. He lived in my neighborhood and I knew him and I have no idea how or why but for some reason  he was getting me to read his 7th grade science book.  He was just amazed that this "little kid" was reading his 7th grade book. Again, have no idea why that is stuck in my head somewhere.
 I was the kid who got in trouble for staying up too late reading. Once I get into a book, it is very hard for me to put it down.  I remember staying up wayyy too late at times reading, especially the older I got. I remember several times still being up reading when my stepdad got up to go to work (he left the house around 4:30 or 5 AM!)  Even into college, my favorite classes were literature classes.  One of my favorite gifts to get my kids now is books!! And I love it when they curl up with me and get me to read to them.  
I do NOT get to read much now. (Other than, you know, There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat, etc.) I have been working on Rick Bragg's book since the summer - it is not a difficult book to read... I just don't have time.  In between work, kids, following Derek around... I just don't have a lot of free time. I've also discovered that now, because I'm old, reading makes me sleepy! I have got to make myself start reading more, though. It's good for my little brain! So if you guys have any, give me some book recommendations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment