Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 16 - My dream house!

I actually live in my dream house - or pretty dang close. Seriously. I LOVE our house.


That picture was from last summer when we first moved in - before the bushes were trimmed, etc.  I love our house. I have a running list of things in my head I want to do to it - HOWEVER, it isn't ours. :) We are just "caretakers" of this sweet, wonderful, (my dream) house.  God just stepped in and blessed us beyond belief with this house. I feel lucky every single day that I wake up in it. It has real hardwood floors, transom windows, glass door knobs, old wooden windows, a fireplace, built-ins, everything. Everything I want. :) The MSU campus is right out of my back door. Really. We walk to Eckie's Pond (one of our very favorite places on campus) and we walk to the football games. We can hear the band practicing in the fall. The chiming from the chapel is how I keep up with time in the mornings getting ready. We have pecan trees that we spent hours under this fall with the kids (and whoever else wanted t!) picking up pecans. We have that GINORMOUS magnolia tree to the right of the house that is amazing for climbing. There are surprise lillies. There are irises. We have a porch with rocking chairs and a swing. I love our house. L O V E.
If we could stay here forever and ever I would love to knock out the wall and the closet at the end of my kitchen and extend it into the back den... I would put a bar across to separate it. I would change the counter tops and flooring in the kitchen. I would put glass in some of the cabinet doors in the kitchen and maybe even take some of them out! The electrical system in the whole house would have to be redone. I would paint all the very white walls a warmer color.  I would free up the transoms (they're painted shut.) I would paint the shutters and front door a different color. I would replace the sconces in the living room and bathrooms. I would replace the light fixtures in all the bedrooms. I would change the chandeliers in the living room and dining room and kitchen.  I would put cabinets or shelves above my washer and dryer.  So, see? Yep, it's my dream house but I definitely have a list! :)
So... if we didn't stay here forever and ever?? Well, I would probably want a new house.  Derek and I are not the handiest couple of folks  you've ever met.  We would need low maintenance. We aren't big yard people either - a little yard with a GREAT patio/deck area would suit me fine.  I love the Camel Back duplexes at Belle Grove here in Starkville, or the houses in Maison de Ville, for example.  My dream house would definitely have a bungalow look with lots of character.  Someone pinned this house on pinterest the other day, and I promptly repinned it - it is WONDERFUL!
It's a Southern Living house plan.  I just love it.  As long as I have something unique, I'd be happy.  I wouldn't necessarily like a new house that looks just like the one 3 houses down in a neighborhood with no trees. THAT would be my anti-dream house!! Character is key!! :) But for now, we're going to just keep being really happy and thankful for our sweet dream house we get to go home to everyday! We love visitors - come sit on our porch with us this spring!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment